AN EVER-GROWING MARKET
hearing care mega trends
There are numerous external factors pushing the hearing care industry towards a more inclusive and technologically advanced future, with a positive impact on the market in which we operate.
People live longer
Hearing loss occurs more often in people aged over 65 due to the natural aging process of hearing cells. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates over 1.5 billion people worldwide are already experiencing hearing loss.
We are all aware of the increase in life expectancy. By 2050, the number of people aged over 65 will double, and in the next 4 years, for the first time in the history of mankind, this number will be higher than the number of children aged under 5 years.
People want to live an active life
We have a much longer life expectancy than the previous generations and our quality of life is much higher: we all want to live an active life.
The so-called active agers – a new generation that won't compromise on quality of life as the years go by – go for runs in parks, stream films online, travel the world and want to continue listening to their favorite music.
makes great progress
Increasing penetration of digital
AN INDUSTRY IN CONSOLIDATION
We are the world leader in the retail sector of hearing care with around 12% of the global market.
The retail market is extremely fragmented:
- around 12% is led by Amplifon;
- less than 50% is made up of independent players with few points of sale or very small chains;
- over 25% is made up of specialty players including those with an international presence such as vertically integrated hearing aid manufacturers (Sonova, Demant, GN Store Nord, WS Audiology and Starkey), and the so-called national champions, companies with a presence limited to one or two countries (such as Kind in Germany, Neuroth in Austria and Rion in Japan);
- over 10% is represented by non-specialty players such as pharmacies, supermarkets and opticians' shops;
- less than3% is made up of online retailers, who play a marginal role. The few successful online players are those who, like us, use the internet and digital marketing tools to direct potential customers to shops for hearing tests and hearing aid fittings by a hearing care specialist.
Our place in the market
We are the only global company specialized in hearing care service. A company with 2.12 billion euro revenues and the spirit of a start-up – young, innovative and capable of growing above the average market rate.